Getting a flight for cheap is the first step when it comes to flying and saving money, however, there are many other ways in which you can save money.
Remember, every dollar that you save is another dollar that you can use on your vacation, and that money adds up!
Here’s my list of things you can do to save money while flying.
- Know the airlines rules — Read the fine print when it comes to baggage fees, since every airline has different rules. What you can take on American Airlines is different than what you can take on WoW Air. Read the rules so you know the exact dimensions for baggage and fees associated with these.
- Pack light and avoid baggage fees — This is the main way to save money when flying, after getting a cheap ticket. Pack only what you need. If you’re not sure you’re going to wear it, don’t bring it! I’ve never paid for carry-on or checked in bags, even when backpacking for months in Europe. You can read more about what to pack on your first backpacking trip here and how to pack efficiently here.
- Check in online — Many airlines, specially low-cost airlines, will charge you for checking in at the airport. Make sure you check in online and find out if you have to print out your ticket. In the case of Spirit Airlines, for example, you have to print it out all the time.
- Bring empty water bottles — Bring empty water bottles to pass through security which you can then fill up at the water fountain. You can save money by avoiding buying water on the plane. These bottles are also useful wherever you end up, as you can use them throughout the day.
- Bring snacks — You are allowed to bring your own food through security. You can bring as much as you want, and will save money by not buying food on the plane/airport. The food you bring will also most likely be a lot better.
- Bring a neck pillow for long flights — You can find neck pillows at Marshall’s, Ross, and online for under $10. These are great for long flights.
What other tips do you use to save money at airports or while flying?